Saturday, February 27, 2010

Ecological: Eco Worriers and Nimbys

Following the frankly pathetic spectacle of rampant self-interest and short-term thinking that masqueraded as the Copenhagen climate treaty talks, a round robin email popped up in my inbox. The subject line was: "If not us, who?" My immediate reaction was, well, not me, anyway. Really, I was feeling quite bad enough about the future without having the whole thing thrown back in my lap.
The thrust of the message could be summed up as "The politicians have let us down. Now it's up to ordinary citizens to take matters into our own hands". I am sure everyone who received the email had a similar response: we're all doomed. Because if there is one lesson we can take away from Copenhagen, it is that everyone wants to save the world, they just don't want to have to start in their own backyard.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthcomment/7207220/Ecological-Eco-Worriers-and-Nimbys.html

No comments: